How would you rate your team’s (a) health and (b) performance?
Concerned about your team’s performance potential?
There are 4 dimensions of any team:
1. Task Effectiveness – we gets the job done well!
2. Social Health – we bring out the best in each other
3. Decisions Smarts – we are clever & wise!
4. Development Potential – we get better & better!
Developing the performance potential of any team requires working on all 4 dimensions. That is the pitstop approach.
Want to improve your team’s health & cohesion?
There is an increasing realization that the social dimension matters. Called ‘Organizational Health’, research suggests it may account for up to 50% of success*.
A team’s ability to do its work effectively is still the primary consideration. However, without positive interactions and a certain level of cohesion among team members performance will inevitably suffer.
* See for example: Alex “Sandy” Pentland, ‘The New Science of Building Great Teams’, HBR, Apr. 2012 & Scott Keller & Colin Price, ‘Beyond Performance: How Great Organizations Build Ultimate Competitive Advantage’, Wiley 2011.