Accelerating clarity, alignment & confidence with data
Leaders use our cutting-edge analytics, data modelling and visualization frameworks and mapping to boost clarity, alignment and confidence in the execution of their strategies for performance and transformation:
Pitstop Analytics™ accelerates clarity in respect of the most complex business opportunities & challenges in spite of growing complexity, competing priorities, divergent stakeholders and changing business and market needs.
The visual is an example of how Pitstop Analytics™ accelerates clarity:
‘The frameworks and analysis really got us to the point of clarity very fast. The areas that require attention jump off the screen.’
Senior Leader, Financial Services
‘To get everybody (regardless of their functional background) looking at the situation the same way is immensely powerful.’
Director, Big Tech.
‘The analysis depersonalizes and depoliticizes the issue. The result is real clarity.’
SVP, Global Pharma
Leaders are faced with changing business needs and priorities, competing projects and initiatives, diverging stakeholder expectations, and increased market uncertainty.
Operating in such complex environments certainty isn’t always possible, however greater clarity should be.
Corporate decisions although driven by logic and analysis, are influenced by non-rational factors such as personalities, politics and groupthink.
More clarity is needed if any of the following apply:
1. Caught up in the busyness, you have little time to think
2. Not everybody is clear on the key priorities
3. Business needs & priorities are changing
4. There are lots of competing projects & initiatives
5. There are Unanswered Questions & Information Gaps / Overload
6. Stakeholders are proving difficult to manage
7. You struggle to see ‘the Big Picture’ / remain objective
8. Reliance on instinct – it is hard to separate fact from opinion
9. Untested Assumptions / Lack of External Validation
10. Procrastination & Indecision
11. Pulling in different directions
12. Surprises / Being caught off-guard
More data doesn’t always result in clarity. Indeed, it can generate the opposite, including analysis paralysis. By contrast, here is how Pitstop Analytics™ ensures clarity:
- Powerful visualizations bring the data to life and tell a story
- Integrates multiple perspectives (leaders, teams, stakeholders, etc.)
- Presents big picture (multi-variate) view
- Highlights linkages and dependencies to present a full-system view
- Illuminates hidden KSF & risks
- Scientific process of analysis reduces bias and error
- Measures the ‘unmeasurable’ (messy & soft)
- Guided process of data-led coaching
Pitstop Analytics™ helps leaders to ensure alignment in respect of strategic priorities, people (incl. internal stakeholders) & resources.
The visual is an example of how Pitstop Analytics™ illuminates alignment:
‘The analysis revealed that the KPIs of Internal Stakeholder are only 62% consistent with those of my team’s (see visual). The need for a new form of engagement with stakeholders was immediately clear!‘
Vice President, Global Pharma
Clarity is important, but it is not enough. There needs to be alignment too. This is essential to ensuring that everyone is pulling in the same direction and that resources are being allocated where they matter most.
Alignment is key to responding with speed and agility to the challenges presented by greater economic uncertainty, the opportunities too.
If your strategy, stakeholders or team is out of alignment by just a few degrees today, you could find yourself far off-course by year-end.
More data doesn’t always result in clarity. Indeed, it can generate in the opposite, incl. analysis paralysis. By contrast, here is how Pitstop Analytics™ ensures clarity:
- Powerful visualization of the data
- Integrates multiple perspectives
- Presents big picture (multi-variate) view
- Highlights linkages and dependencies
- Illuminates hidden KSF & risks
- Scientific analysis prevents bias and error
- Measures the ‘unmeasurable’ (messy & soft)
- Guided process of data-led coaching
Here are some of the tell-tale signs that greater alignment may be required:
- Key strategic priorities are not reflected in how people spend their time or the organization spends its resources
- There is a long list of priorities, perhaps too long
- There are multiple projects & initiatives competing for scarce resources
- Everything is urgent. It is hard to say ‘no’ and trade-offs are few
- Business needs and priorities are changing or need to change
- People are pulling in different directions, silos and solo-runs
- Confidence in execution is under pressure
- People have little time to focus on what matters most
- There is noise and interference (e.g. politics)
- There are questions about the level of commitment and accountability. People say one thing and do something else.
- More bottom up involvement is required to ensure ownership and buy in.
Pitstop Analytics™ helps leaders to accelerate confidence in respect of the most complex business opportunities & challenges.
The visual is an example of how Pitstop Analytics™ illuminates confidence across a set of strategic priorities, projects and initiatives:
‘The analysis of confidence and ambition across our top four strategic priorities clearly demonstrated that priority four (although essential to our success) only enjoys a level of confidence of 50% (among the leadership team).’
Vice President, Global Pharma
High levels of confidence and ambition are important in getting strategies and projects off the ground. But injecting reality later can be difficult.
In most ‘gun-ho’ organizational environments it is easier to stay silent, rather than to voice doubts or concerns. As a result, surprise setbacks and disappoints are inevitable.
Pitstop Analytics™ ensures an open and honest assessment of the likelihood of success, as well as the risks of failure (including those that are normally hidden).
Confidence is important, but too much or too little can be dangerous. If they are to be fully committed, people need to believe that their efforts can succeed. But over-confidence exposes people to unexpected setbacks and disappointments.
Clarity and alignment are important, but confidence is the ultimate talisman for success. That is greater confidence in the success of a key strategy, priority, project or initiative, and the team responsible for making it happen.
Pitstop Analytics™ provides a detailed scientific analysis of the likelihood of success of any strategy project or initiative, illuminating:
- Key Success Factors and risks including those that are normally hidden
- Dependencies, linkages and interconnections that are key to success
- Bring anxieties and concerns out into the open
- Prevent over-confidence and optimism bias
- Slow people down ensure to prevent false starts and address any defect in planning
- The level of commitment buying of sponsors, stakeholders and the team.
Confidence may be an issue if any of the following apply:
- There are questions, doubts or whispers.
- Run-away expectations or ambition and scope creep. There may not be a clearly agreed upon definition of success.
- Resources have been cut, but expectations remain high.
- Initial results call into question the original forecasts or budgets. The approach needs to be adjusted to reflect what has been learned.
- You are struggling to access power and resources. There is a long list of priorities, projects and initiatives competing for attention.
- You are concerned that you don’t have the wholehearted commitment of some key stakeholders.
- People may be losing sight of the prize or the goals of the project. Some may not understand how important the project or strategy is, or the requirements of its success.
- There is a lack of external validation. There is a danger of operating in ‘a glass bubble’.
- There may be hidden key success factors and risks. Raising these may not be easy. Risk management requires attention.
The power of our analytics to accelerate clarity, alignment & confidence is based on its ability to illuminate:
In a complex fast-changing environment business needs and priorities are continuously changing. This presents challenges when set against the traditional planning and budgeting cycles within a large organization. It also puts pressure on alignment and demands greater speed, agility, collaboration and Innovation. Pitstop Analytics™ helps.
Pitstop Analytics™ ensures that strategies, initiatives and projects, the leaders and networks of teams running them are aligned in respect of changing business needs and priorities. That includes the alignment of the various internal stakeholders involved.
‘The level of clarity regarding business needs emerged as 73% for stakeholders and 68% for the team. We have been so busy with deadlines, etc. that we have not stopped to ask ‘Why?’.
SVP Pharmaceutical Company
Most leaders are both ambitious and optimistic. Yet, if you believe the statistics, 70% to 90% of strategies, projects and initiatives fail to deliver as expected.
Pitstop Analytics™ provides a systematic analysis of key success factors and risks including those that are normally hidden. This enables leaders to set themselves up for success, effectively manage risks and to prevent surprise setbacks or disappointments.
‘To see the risks mapped out so clearly was really powerful. I am glad that I was not the only one who can see them.’
Director Med Tech
Executives are spending up to 70% of their working week on internal collaboration. Yet many say that up to half of this adds little or no value. The scientific explanation as to why is ‘called ‘performance losses’ – the factors that get in the way of people working together in the most effective way possible.
Pitstop Analytics™ illuminates the performance losses and gains that exist within your organization, project or team. It also illustrates how they can be tackled and the benefits that can result to both the organization and its people. This includes performance, as well as collaboration, vitality, agility and so on.
‘What is clear is that the ‘work’ isn’t just the ‘work’ it is all the other stuff that goes with it – the meetings, the internal process and procedures, managing stakeholders and so on. For the first time we have visibility of these factors and numbers on how they impact on our effectiveness’.
Operations Director, Financial Services
Being so close to the action, it can be difficult for leaders to ‘see the wood from the trees’ and to maintain an objective view of reality. As we approach business opportunities and challenges we must be aware of our blind spots and biases. Especially, the risks of groupthink and confirmation bias.
Pitstop Analytics™ is a powerful meta analysis that illuminates patterns of thinking. It reveals mindset and narrative as well as assumptions, contradictions and blind spots.
‘The outside in perspective provided by stakeholders and industry best practice really did challenge some of our thinking’.
VP, Big Tech
Many of today’s complex business problems defy simple solutions. Complex business opportunities and challenges require engaging multiple actors and multiple perspectives, working on the whole rather than the parts and adaptive (a change of thinking or behaviour) as well as technical solutions.
Pitstop Analytics™ reveals strategies, projects or initiatives in all their complexity, including the many interconnections, linkages and dependencies involved. It enables leaders to get to grips with full complexity of what is required for success.
‘It was a full systems view. All the parts of the problem were illuminated, including how one thing links to another and they are all interconnected.’
Director, Financial Services
Pitstop Analytics™ enables leaders to see opportunities and challenges from different angles, that includes the critical outside-in perspective offered by stakeholders and industry peers.
‘Sometimes I believe that our team is too polite, and the people ‘go along’ rather than speak their mind. The analysis tackled this issue and brought a diversity of perspectives challenging the way we have done things in the past’.
VP Global Finance
Ready to Talk or just want to browse so more?
Complex topics often require a conversation, but if you would prefer to keep browsing, here are some of the FAQs regarding our analytics and data modelling:
A means of accelerating clarity, alignment and confidence regarding complex business opportunities and challenges. Specifically those related to the successful execution of costly and ambitious strategies and initiatives.
The complexity comes from competing priorities, multiple stakeholders, cross-functional collaboration, scarce resources and the effectiveness requirements of teams or networks of teams.
Leaders at the SVP level and higher in large organizations with responsibility for delivering on ambitious strategies and initiatives. They are responsible for multi-million dollar budgets within Pharma, Financial Services or Tech sectors.
Our analytics is designed to engage cross-functionally and used by leaders from scientific, engineering and other specialisms to boost clarity, alignment and confidence in the business domain.
For multi-million dollar strategic priorities, initiatives and projects, as well as the costly executive teams or networks of teams running them.
It is used where there is a need to boost clarity, alignment or confidence in respect of the above. Worded differently (in the negative), it is used where there is doubt, lack of alignment or risk around a critical strategy or initiative and or the team(s) running them.
Pitstop Analytics™ is an extensive analytics platform focusing on the issues (both hard and soft) concerning leaders in large organizations with responsibility for delivering on ambitious strategies and initiatives. Some of the issues covered include:
You tell us the issues that matter most to you, and we will customize the reporting to illuminate those areas. However, the power of analytics derives from its breath of scope and its ability to paint the complete picture.
While you may be interested in a particular issue, interrelated and interdependent variables will also be illuminated. This is key to dealing effectively with complex opportunities and challenges, where there are many factors involved and cause-effect relationships are complex.
Complex and ambitious strategies and initiatives with multi-million dollar budgets that challenge or stretch the organization and the teams running them. Some of the challenges include the following:
- Competing for organizational attention and resources
- Changing business needs and priorities
- Engaging internal stakeholders
- Managing expectations
- Navigating internal processes and bureaucracy
- Balancing the need for project planning rigour with agile execution
- Breaking down silos and ensuring effective cross-functional collaboration
- Tapering organizational ambition with reality
- Building effective teams or networks of teams (often outside the traditional organizational structure)
- Juggling multiple projects and priorities and ensuring that people are able to spend enough time on the initiative
- Ways of working that address the requirements of business unusual (speed, agility, collaboration and innovation)
The analysis can be completed within days. Typically, people are invited (e.g. internal stakeholders, team members, etc.) and given a week to complete. We will set the time line based on your needs.
It saves between 1 and 3 hours per person compared to traditional approaches (i.e. conversations or workshops). That could take 10 days for 15 stakeholders and 12 team members.
You get a detailed analytical report with numbers and data – so no time is spent on report writing. The issues are immediately precise, meaning minimal time is required to interpret the analysis.
Moreover, it is time-efficient repeatable process, so you can accurately track change and progress over time.
The output is the illumination (with your organization’s data) of models and visual frameworks that accelerate clarity, alignment and confidence. These powerful visualization techniques bring the data to life and tell a story. Your attention is immediately drawn to where it is most needed – to the key opportunities and challenges.
It is easy to get lost in data, but don’t worry. We will take you step-by-step through the analysis with your specific needs in mind. This process isn’t a PowerPoint slide show but rather a process of data-led coaching that will give you time to think and re-think. The process balances analysis with reflection to ensure clarity on the implications. It can potentially change how you see things, resulting in new possibilities and solutions.
With so much attention given to technology and data gathering, business needs often come secondary. But not with Pitstop Analytics™. It accelerates the process from Data to Insight and Insight to Impact, reducing the time to insight to a matter of weeks. Here is how it works:
You explain your business needs in a 60-90 guided conversation with our business domain experts.
Based on your business needs we set up the Pitstop Analytics™ platform to gather the information you need from the audience you have selected.
Your key stakeholders and team goes online – it takes between 15 and 26 minutes per person to complete the analytics in confidence.
Leader, team and individual perspectives are analyzed with approx. 10,000 data points for a medium-sized unit/team.
A powerful algorithm analyzes patterns in the data & compares to benchmark.
BIG data modelling & visualization techniques bring the data to life and tell a story.
Leaders are guided through the outputs in a process of data-led coaching that combines analysis with reflection to generate new awareness.
Progress in converting insight into action is tracked over time with before/after measurement
As the leader, we will guide you through the analysis in a data-led coaching process that balances data and reflection to result in new insights and clarity.
As an option, there is a robust ‘pitstop’ methodology to engage your stakeholders and team in the analysis of new levels of engagement, ownership and buy-in.,
Here is how executives describe these pitstops:
‘I was expecting a slide show and lots of graphs, instead we had one of the most effective conversations as a team that we ever had.’
‘The models and tools really get the conversation to the point of clarity fast. Using stickers to do the analysis as a team and then comparing that to the results gathered online was really powerful in illuminated the issues from different angles.’
‘The level of energy and engagement was wonderful – there are lessons for how we organize all our strategic workshops’.
‘Everybody had their say and people opened-up and said things that hadn’t been said before. It was safe to say what you were thinking, but there was also a level of respectful challenge involved. I came out of the session thinking differently than I was thinking going in’.
‘The full complexity was clear, including the system we are working in… the parts we can control and the parts we cannot.’
Talk to us about pit-stopping with your stakeholders and team, using its analysis
Pitstop Analytics™ is inspired by the performance-obsessed arena of F1™ – a pioneer not just in BIG data technology, but in the science of performance optimization.
During a typical Grand Prix more than 243 terabytes of data will be streamed from the racing cars. That is more data that is contained in the US Library of Congress!
To make sense of mountains of data requires the use of the latest data visualization techniques including predictive modelling. That is the inspiration behind Pitstop Analytics™ meta modelling.
Delivering insights after the race is of little value. So, data is put to work immediately identifying marginal gains that can be acted upon fast.
Pitstop Analytics™ provides Big data at the speed of a pitstop. It minimizes the time required by managers in gathering, analyzing and acting on the data.
Can’t find what you are looking for? Please reach out and one of our team would be glad to help.
Cutting-edge analytics to help leaders deliver on their strategies for performance & transformation.
You must be logged in to post a comment.