Ways of Working: Why Is Your CEO Talking About it?
Straight Line Acceleration Won’t be Enough!
A typical team could be seen as a bundle of 1000 plus interactions per month. So, imagine the impact of improving those interactions by just 3, 5 or 10%. Then scale that up across an entire business unit or team. The impact could be transformational.
Thus, any productivity gains or time savings that result from managing and minimizing interactions are just a small part of a much bigger prize. For the organization there is the potential for significant gains in terms of performance, collaboration and innovation.
Importantly, it is also about what is good for you – ensuring that you get as much from your work as is possible – that you end your working week feeling satisfied and proud of your accomplishments and contribution, rather that disappointed, frustrated or even exhausted.
These techniques are the ‘how’, but let’s not forget about the ‘why’. The why is that you can save precious time and energy – that you can focus on those areas that matter most. That you can cut through your task list as efficiently as possible – that you can manage the level of stress and frustration that you experience. That you feel like you are doing good work, making good progress and ending your week satisfied with your accomplishments and contribution.
Why Manage Your Interruptions?
These are many techniques to manage interruptions …some have fancy names e.g. the ”Pomodoro Technique' or clever associations… …e.g. Triage Your Priorities & Tasks
These techniques are the ‘how’, but let’s not forget about the ‘why’. Changing our working habits isn't easy, it requires motivation.
Here is a list of the typical motivations of senior leaders. Which of these can really motivate you?
- Save your precious time and energy
- Cut through your work / task list as efficiently as possible
- Manage the level of stress and frustration that you experience
- Cope with a growing volume of work / increased pressure. Enabling you to sustain your performance over time.
- Ensure a healthy balance between work and the rest of your life.
- Focus more on those areas that matter most to your success
- Get more from your work – leveraging your talent and skill to the max. Being recognized & advancing.
- Feel good – that you are making progress and doing good work. You can end your working week satisfied with your accomplishments & contribution
- Play at ‘the top of your game' – maximize your productivity, creativity & innovation
- Optimize collaboration and improve the quality of your interactions with others
Which of these factors matter most you? Rewind to see the list again, if necessary.
Changing the way we work isn't easy. A powerful motivation is required. So, what is yours?
Write out your goal for managing interruptions make it real – imaging your work & your life when the goal is realized.
SOLUTIONS & SERVICES: Here are some of the ways that our research & insights are put to work by our clients: